Two events led to the creation of this dish: I had a delicious Summer Melon Salad at Pizza Antica last week, and then I saw cantaloupes on sale for 3 for a dollar. It was meant to be! I've already made this salad twice this week because Al liked it so much.
- spinach/arugula mix
- 1 cantaloupe - cut into chunks
- 1 cucumber - cut into chunks
- 1 shallot (1/2 finely sliced, the other half diced)
- 1 tbsp. fresh mint leaves - finely chopped
- 1 avocado - sliced
For the vinaigrette:
- ~2 tbsp. white wine vinegar
- ~1 tbsp. dijon mustard
- ~1/4 cup olive oil
- freshly cracked black pepper
- In a measuring cup, let the diced shallots sit in about 2 tbsp. of white wine vinegar (add for to cover if needed). While the shallots macerate in the vinegar, chop the cantaloupe, cucumber, the other half of the shallot, and mint. Toss them all together in a large bowl.
- Add 1tbsp. dijon mustard to the measuring cup with shallots and vinegar, then add olive oil until the mixture is 1/2 a cup. Whisk everything together and season with freshly cracked black pepper.
- Slice an avocado and toss with cantaloupe and cucumber mixture.
- Toss spinach and arugula mix with just a little dressing (enough to slightly coat) and distribute to plates. Pour the rest of the dressing over the cantaloupes and cucumbers and toss. Mound on top of the spinach and arugula mix.